Madly by Amy Alward
Here is a rough outline of my though process as I read Madly:
- Ha. Haha. You can’t be serious.
- Am I reading junior fiction?
- For god’s sake, will something interesting please happen already?!
- Oh. Woah. Something happened.
- Heeeeey, this ain’t so bad.
- Dare I say I may be enjoying this?
- I do. I dare.
- [Ends] That was actually kind of almost not too bad.
Madly, the first of the Potion trilogy by Amy Alward, follows seventeen-year-old Samantha, an alchemist-in-training, on a Wilde Hunt to gather the necessary ingredients to save the poisoned Princess Evelyn. The synopsis immediately caught my attention and I was originally very excited to read it–potions? forbidden(ish) romance? crazy, dangerous adventures? Yes please! But when I started reading it, much of it fell flat. Continue reading